Monday, October 06, 2008

What the...

I have been reading more newspapers these days than I've ever read in my life - thanks to HT - and quite honestly, it is very depressing.

Whenever someone tells you that there was a blast in some place, you casually ask, "Kitne blasts hue?" or a more surpised "Ek hi blast hua kya?"
Meanwhile, the self-obsessed Home Minister is seen changing outfits every hour to make the most of the media attention. Despite of repeated failure and appeals from citizens asking him to step down, the Home Minister - who is a subject of mockery and the cartoonists' favourite - is shameless enough to hold on to his beloved seat.

Churches are being attacked, nuns are being raped, while the Bajrang Dal or equivalents yell "Jay Shri Ram" as if raping and violence were the guiding principles of Hinduism.

Tata pulls out of Bengal thanks to a protest, driven by - at least the way I see it - a political motive more than a genuine concern for less than 20% of the farmers who did not want to give their land away.
Not to forget, these are the same farmers who were made to vacate their own land at gunpoint by a government who is as much to blame as the opposition.

I-banks are falling, so are the markets, people are being sacked; FIIs neither have the money, nor the confidence to invest in India.

We have Mr. Raj Thackeray, whom I 'spoke' about in my previous post, telling us very politely that Mumbai uske baap ki hai.

Journalists and young students are killed in the national capital whose CM - whose prime concern should be women's safety - blames the victims for moving out alone in an 'unsafe' city.

Be it nuclear deal or reservations or whatever, the government does it just to prove its mattle, to gather something it can pitch in the next elections. The opposition opposes whatever the government does - who cares if it for the good of the nation?!

This is all that stays in my mind at the end of the day, when I am about to go to bed.
I have somehow started expecting a repition of the above - more blasts, more MNS attacks, more vote bank politics - everyday, still hating it but surprisingly accepting it as the state of things.

No, don't get me wrong. I love this country. I know most that things are going great. I know that most of our people are much better than they were 10 years back.
It's just that my mind has started feeling an itch all of a sudden. I have started getting a creepy feeling, a question knocking in my head - something is going wrong somewhere.

What?

No comments:

Post a Comment