Friday, May 15, 2009

Shikha and Sanjay #4

[Sanjay's band hasn't been playing for a while now. The band members meet for dinner at their usual hangout - The Pizzeria. Sanjay and Rajan - who's in a particularly bad mood - are waiting for Gopal to join them. The big news is that Gopal will be getting his new girlfriend, Sheetal along.]

GOPAL
[Walks in]
Hey people! Wassup?

SANJAY
Hey!

GOPAL
[Gives a hi-five to both of them]
Meet Sheetal.
[Turns to Sheetal] Sheetal... Rajan and Sanjay.

SHEETAL
Hi guys! It's so good to finally see you two. I have heard so much about you from Gopal...

RAJAN
[interrupts]
...likewise!

SHEETAL
[Smiles politely]
Uh... So, Rajan... I have seen the band's videos. You play the guitar really well.

RAJAN
Thanks. I play the bass though.

SHEETAL
I don't know... it looked like a guitar.

SANJAY
[Trying to handle things...]
Well it sure does. Even I get confused at times.
[Laughs]

[Sheetal joins him. Rajan gives him a disgusted look. Gopal senses Rajan's bad mood and figures that Sheetal might feel out of place tonight]

GOPAL
So, Sanjay... why didn't you bring Shikha along?

SANJAY
Oh she wanted to come. But she's stuck up at work.

[Sanjay looks at his watch and realises it is 8.30. He sends her a text]

Done with work, I hope!

[His phone beeps in a while. It's Shikha]


On my way home now. Work never stops though, honey :)

[Replies]

Arey meri maa, I just wanted to know if you're still in office or are wise enough to leave for home by now... Chal ja ab chup chap :P
I'm dining with these guys, will be home by 11ish.

[Back]

Lol, ya... going chup chap only. Will wait for u. Love ya :)


SANJAY
[Looks up from his phone]
Oh ya, that reminds me... Shikha and I were talking about the band the other day. I was telling her... now that both our drummers aren't around, we might not be able to play for a while.

RAJAN
Dude, nothing is gonna happen now. Age is catching up! We're all gonna get sucked up by our jobs... one at a time. At most we'll play a few more local gigs, that's it!

SANJAY
Shut up dude... you have always been a cynic! What's wrong with you?

[Sanjay looks at Gopal, he's completely lost. Sheetal pinches Gopal and Sanjay notices]

SANJAY
[to Sheetal]
Look Sheetal, I'm really sorry. Don't worry, this is a usual thing among us.

RAJAN
Yeah, we're all fightercocks.

GOPAL
Dude, the last time I heard that word was I was in eigth grade.

RAJAN
Ya, after that you started learning fancy words like bhenchod madarchod and all na... so your vocab collapsed.

SANJAY
Dude, language... there's a lady on the table!

RAJAN
Ya, whatever!

[Awkward silence]

GOPAL
Oh great... the pizzas are here!

[A rather silent dinner followed]

--------------------------------------------------
Shikha and Sanjay are both MBAs for a year, married for a year and in love for a little longer than that. Instead of writing in a continuous story about them, I have tried to pick episodes from their lives and let the story take shape over time.

For excerpts from their lives so far, check out the 'Shikha + Sanjay' label on 'However, in my opinion...'

2 comments:

  1. I've read the other installments of the sanjay+shikha series and all of them are really nice :) The story reminds me of this senior of ours, in college. He did an MBA et al from some IIM and got a good job too, but decided to follow his passion - Music :) His name was Gaurav though :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thanks

    I think you're talking about Gaurav from IIM-A - some 2 or 3 years back right? He had released an album with a song called 'College Days' I guess...

    ReplyDelete