Friday, May 08, 2009

Which boundaries?

I have always been of the opinion that young educated Indians should stay back and contribute. I have always looked at people who leave to the US (or wherever) for a better lifestyle and the likes as the weak ones.

Maybe a rational opinion, maybe not. But I have always had that opinion.

And today, while I was reading Keep off the Grass by Karan Bajaj (recommended), I found a fitting argument to this opinion of mine.

'Let's start with Sarkar. Have you ever done anything for the country, dude?'

Sarkar sighed. 'No, man, I've done nothing and I'm proud of it. What is a country but a geographical boundary created by an unknown political system which you don't believe in? Vinod, man, if you didn't feel like a traitor when you came from Ambala to Bangalore to study, why then should you fell like a traitor when you go from India to work in the U.S.? Who decides which boundaries are okay to cross and which aren't? Let the world be your playing ground, bhai.'

Nice point. I'll take it :)

10 comments:

  1. now u knw y me john bkb nd kalz r here?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, one way.

    I am still quite inclined towards the staying back and contributing bit honestly. But I get the point Sarkar is trying to make out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. contributin...my shit...i knw u wud now say wht have i done for india nd blah blah...the truth is even if i put in my fuckin everythin for india, it wud never gimme a valid reason to cum back...i m so much hatin india for bureaucracy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well fair enough. Your take...
    Bureaucracy sounds like too trivial a reason to hate a country though :P

    But as I said... your take!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Rookie:
    He did make a lot of sense actually :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post really makes me think twice.....I should come back and start a career or I am well Off in U.S ???

    Hardik Mehta

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hardik:
    Well actually you know you can rationalise everything and we eventually find ways to justify what we're doing, so... :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Profound! And yes - I have subscribing to your ideology all this while .. but this argument by Sarkar definitely makes don my thinking hat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kiran:
    Ditto! Not that it's an absolutely new kinda thought - many of us, I'm sure, dwell on the "sacredness" of man-made boundaries at times - but the way Sarkar drives the point home is quite effective.

    I'd recommend reading the book actually. That Sarkar is really a brilliant character :)

    ReplyDelete